Last year 41% of people watching the Super Bowl also had their smartphones out as a second screen. What were they doing? Well, my guess is a combination of things:
- Searching for information about the game
- Searching for information about the teams
- Searching for great commercials to watch them again
- Searching for more content about the commercials and brands
The common theme in all of this is of course, Search!!
As I referenced in A New Breed of “Super-Consumers”, consumer behavior has been forever changed by smartphones. The biggest change in the past year has been the further consumption of tablets which is again shifting consumer behavior. The big story this year we will be looking out for this year during the Super Bowl is how consumers use tablets and smartphones as a second, or simultaneous screen during the game. We also want to see which advertisers planned ahead and created Super Bowl campaigns that incorporate TV and digital.
- Will advertisers think about how those expensive multi-million dollar commercials are the trigger to get consumers to start a consumer decision journey?
- Will they show up on relevant searches?
- Will they tailor ads that extend their message beyond the TV and into the living room?
- Will they offer incentives or promotions to increase motivation?
- Will they create customized user experiences?
- Will these experiences be optimized for smartphones and tablets?
We will be watching, will you?