Blog

Home / Articles  / Google’s Phrase Search Frustration
Home / Articles  / Google’s Phrase Search Frustration
9 Comments
  • Dennis Miedema

Louise, as a fellow SEO practicioner let me tell you: I definitely know what you mean.

Ever typed in a keyword and had no results show up? Check the same keyword 24 hours later and all of a sudden “results” show up. I say “results” because they’re all semantic. In all honesty it feels like Google uses a relevancy scale from 1-10 and if it can’t detect a 10 then it will immediately display 9s, 8s, and I think in the case of no results even 1’s.

That’s not Google being helpful though, but Google saving face, wouldn’t you agree? Think about it: they themselves admit that 80% of all searches entered into it on a daily basis are unknown, so Google serving “results” within 24 hours for keywords that had no results is just Google trying to pretend its product is worth your while (by displaying results, thus satisfying the user’s need for answers to a query he/she types in).

Long story short: I’ve got a feeling Google has become less picky with aforementioned relevancy scale of 1-10. Lame!

Regards,

Dennis Miedema

June 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reply
  • Brad Broekema

Ugh I know exactly what you mean Louise! For a few search queries I have found the semantic to be helpful (i.e. finding a authority site instead of a crappy affiliate site for long tail phrases) but for the most part I just end up not getting what I’m not looking for. Hopefully this will get better as they improve the algo., only time will tell. I’m not holding my breath though…

June 15, 2012 at 7:05 am Reply
  • windell crowder

why does google refuse to allow directly related results to be given?

February 4, 2013 at 10:53 am Reply
  • windell crowder

why does googlegive in eccess of +99.999% unrelated search results?

February 4, 2013 at 10:54 am Reply
  • windell crowder

how to actually get answer from google for question about google?

February 4, 2013 at 10:56 am Reply
  • catmankent

I see no answers to problems with Google search. If someone asks on Google search how to get Google to show to get related search results , Google answers that related results are reserved for Google administrators . So it seems that Google is never going to allow regular browsers related results!

March 20, 2013 at 10:09 am Reply
  • johnqjones

Google has to be programmed by monkeys .If it was programmed by people , sometimes a related result would slip through . It’s either monkeys or imbeciles .Probably imbeciles because Google would have to hire people to take care of the monkeys .

July 16, 2014 at 10:17 am Reply